General note: email delivery is a function of many factors, including your domain reputation, which is mostly determined by your customer engagement score. Engagement scores are maintained by email forwarders and hosts based on open rate, click through rate and reply rate.
Diagnosing the problem:
In the event many of your customers are:
- not receiving your outbound email through Foundation Tennis,
- receiving your email in the bulk or junk mail folder,
- or you notice that there are very few "open's" in your Group Email Activity reporting
Fixing the problem:
Your domain DNS and/or email hosting settings need to be upgraded.
You can do this work yourself if you manage your own DNS. Foundation Tennis Professional Services can help or do this for you if needed. Note that these requirements are are new (Fall 2019) and are imposed by AOL, Comcast, Verizon, Yahoo, others.
These are the steps:
- establish a DKIM, DMARC, and SPF record in your domain DNS
- test at a site such as https://mxtoolbox.com
- establish a 'postmaster' @ your domain address, forwarding to email@example.com
- (note the .cc - not .com)
- Complete the 4 major Feedback Loops (these are the services used by almost ever mail forwarder)
- Test / validate your work with a service like https://mxtoolbox.com/
- Wait 24-48 hours for the changes to take effect
Make sure your email does not contain any 'spammy' content. You can Google 'spammy email content' for suggestions.
At a minimum we suggest:
- Your 'from' email address should be identifiable and relevant such as firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
(note: the use of your free personal email address in the 'from' field will all but ensure a spam trigger, which is the reason it is not allowed in Foundation tennis)
- Do not use all caps in your subject line, and avoid spam trigger words (Free, Trial, Act now, Special offer) - check Google for more information and examples
- Rotate your subject line. If you have a monthly newsletter, include the name of the month and year in the subject line to distinguish this email from previous emails
- Do not use consecutive exclamation marks
- Do not upload purchased lists. They are full of spam traps and there are many other ways to grow your tennis business in your community.
- Manage your Contact Manager database. Honor previously marked opt-out's and do not re-upload email addresses from external systems.
Hire us to help you: If the steps outlined above are not familiar to you, hire us to help you. We can perform steps A through F above in 2 hours of professional services. Unless we are already hosting or managing your email plan, we will need you to perform step B (setting up the postmaster email address)
NOTE: The technical steps that we can take internally are limited to ensuring your domain is technically compliant. We have a very high success rate helping return your domain reputation to reliable email delivery. However we cannot guarantee that we can improve your domain reputation solely via technical configuration.
All work helping you improve your domain reputation and email delivery is billed at hourly rates. While we can perform some tasks for a fixed fee based on the average time we know it takes to complete certain tasks, there is no guarantee of delivery improvement. A number of factors work together and results will improve over time. We can help you do the right things faster, but we do not control the time frames.
Please speak with your account manager about how we can help you develop and implement best practices for your organization.